Wednesday, April 24, 2013

20 Things I've Learned as a Runner

Not sure why, but over half of these thoughts ran through my head during my easy 4 mile run today, so I thought I'd jot them down. The fact that I remembered them is even more impressive.

20 Things I've learned as a Runner:

1. It's normal to have to use the restroom 40 times before a race. If you think you have to go, you do. If you don't think you have to go, you do.

2. When running/racing, don't start off in a sprint. Unless you are running a 400 meter sprint.


3. You're probably going to bite the dust at least once while running. It's okay, nobody saw you. Except the five cars that drove by. And that cyclist. And three other runners.

4. It's okay to slow down and take a break if you have to. Just don't make it a 10 minute break. That's called stopping.


5. Cut corners on the race course. 

6. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Do this BEFORE you run. It's too late if you wait until you're actually running. 


7. Bad runs happen; good runs happen. But it's the great runs that remind you how much you love to run. And they also make up for the bad ones.


8. Running in 50 degree weather is ten times easier than running in 90.


9. Wear a headlamp when you run in the dark. There are sticks that look like snakes, leaves that look like frogs, and deer that look like deer. And trust me, they will dart out in front of you. Those sticks are everywhere.


10. Listen to your body. If you need to rest, rest; if you need to take it slow, take it slow. Injuries happen, it doesn't mean you will never run again. 


11. Keep up with the mileage on your shoes. Take advantage of buying new ones!


Like these pretty thangs:

12. Don't compare your success with the success of other runners. Every runner is different. This is a biggie for me. I am constantly reminding myself that I didn't run in high school; I didn't run in college. I've only been running for two years; I'm still new to this. I still have lots of room to improve. I can't look at someone else's running success and think, "Wow! I wish I was as fast as them!" when they've been running for 13 years. Patience is key.

13. Foam rollers are evil. But they hurt so good!

14. STRETCH! Like, really stretch. Don't just reach down and touch your toes.

15. Holding your arm up above your head will not help find GPS satellites any faster.

16. Don't let anyone ever tell you can't run a certain distance or pace. That's never happened to me (and for that I'm grateful), but I know people who HAVE had it said to them and that strikes a nerve. 

17. You don't need music to run 13 miles. Try it sometime. Or every time, like I do.

18. Everyone needs a running buddy. Whether it's one who is physically by your side when you need them (my husband!) or a virtual running buddy (my RunChat folks!)  

19. You don't need to run with a water bottle, a fuel belt, or one of those hydration backpack things every. time. you. go. for. a. run. 

20. Set your goals high. Train hard, race hard, achieve your goals. Then repeat.  Probably one of my favorite things about being a runner. 


I could have titled this, "100 Things I've Learned as a Runner" and I would have had no problem listing 80 more, but my adult ADD is kicking in, and I'm hungry. Maybe I'll continue it in another blog some day. 

What are some things you've learned as a runner? Are any similar to these? How long have you been running?  

No comments:

Post a Comment