Monday, June 10, 2013

Running Q & A


I came across this fun little running Q & A (from The Hungry Runner Girl) when Evelynn, a fellow runner on Twitter and RunChat, posted a blog about it. 
1.  On average how many races do you run a year?
It varies from year to year. This is only my third year running (and I didn't start racing until October of 2011.)  My first year of running I raced three times - from October to the end of the year. By the beginning of 2012 I was HOOKED! I ran 9 races that year (I think?) So far, in 2013, I've run 5.  (P.S. If you are a runner and don't have an Athlinks account, sign up. It keeps track of all your races and results. Well, most of them. Some you have to put in yourself.) Anyway, my goal is usually to average one race a month, but I've gone from focusing on "how many races" to "how well I race." And sometimes that means stepping back from racing and just focusing on training. 
2.  Head accessories, things you have to run with:  a hat, a visor, sunglasses, chapstick, sunscreen, head band, ponytail, braids, sweat band?
My hair is in one of those messy buns probably 70% of the time (and that includes when I'm not running.)  I just throw it up and go. But when I'm running, it takes three ponytail holders to keep my hair up. No joke. If I leave just one out, my bun will start flopping around and eventually fall down, because when you have thick hair the ponytail holder will only wrap around your hair so many times, ya know? It's a complicated procedure. And REALLY annoying. I would braid my hair but then I'd have to put 50 bobby pins in it to keep all the layers tucked away. Plus, I suck at braiding. Anyway, enough venting about my hair. I wear sunglasses, even if it's cloudy. And sometimes I wear my JUNK headband, to keep sweat out of my eyes, but I don't normally have that problem. 
3.  Where do your workouts come from?  A training plan, a coach, whatever you feel like doing that day or what your training partner is doing that day?
My husband makes my schedule for me. He always has, from day one. Lately, I haven't been consistent (because I'm not training for anything) so, I get a little lazy sometimes and skip. Or I just do 3 miles, because that doesn't take much time.  I try to stick to whatever he tells me to do, though because I have to have structure when it comes to running I can't just go out and do whatever I want to. Although, sometimes that's what happens. 
4.  How many miles on average do you put on a pair of shoes?
Around 400 for my Saucony Kinvaras.
5.  Cell phone: do you bring it with you on your run or leave it at home?
I never run with my cell phone. Knowing me I'd drop it. I have one of those arm band things that my phone fits in, but it weighs my arm down, so I don't wear it. Sometimes I see things on my run and I wish I had my phone to take a quick picture, though. (Someone should invent sunglasses with tiny cameras in them!) 
6.  What was your last running related injury or have you been an injury free runner?
I was "injured" right before my last two half marathons (and I still set a new PR both times!) I say "injured" because I don't really know what was wrong. Something to do with my hip/IT band. All I know is I couldn't run without limping. And I couldn't run for 4-5 weeks.
7.  Is your current running goal about running a farther distance (adding more mileage) or getting faster or BOTH?!?
I have multiple running goals at all times. I was working on a sub 23 minute 5k, but am having to acclimate to the heat instead. I'll start training for a half PR (sub 1:50) pretty soon and also, in August, I start training for my first MARATHON, which is in December! 
8.  Speed work – at the track, on the treadmill, on the roads or never do it?
If you want to get faster you have to incorporate speed work into your run schedule. I like it, just not in humid weather. And I do it on the same course I do all of my runs. No treadmill for me, ever. 
9.  Stretching after a run:  hit the ground after a run and get stretching, stretch in the shower, stretch once you get to work/school, skip the stretching?
I used to be really bad about forgetting to stretch after runs. That's why one of my injuries occurred, though, so I'm pretty adamant about stretching right after a run, now.
10.  What was your reason(s) for starting to run?
See here

No comments:

Post a Comment