Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Childhood dreams


Growing up, I can think of three things I wanted to be (and on a pretty regular basis):

1. A teacher (well, when I was really little I wanted to be a babysitter. And some people don't seem to be able to differentiate between the two.)

2. A magazine editor/ writer
3. A hair stylist

The closest I came to being a hair stylist was working in a salon as a receptionist for 3 years; cutting doll hair; and the occasional bang trim for a very trusting 6 year old. 


The closest I have come to being an editor is proof reading essays for people or correcting someone’s spelling on Facebook.


As for teaching, well that’s what I do now - going on 4 years. Still somewhat of a newbie, but I've gained a LOT of experience within that short time period.


Sometimes, I wonder if teaching is really for me - everyday, until retirement?? If it’s my forte; my passion. Other times, I can’t see myself doing anything in life BUT teach. However, I would not say no to being a housewife or stay-at-home-mom some day.



Sigh...

Don't judge my look. I was unmotivated whilst working on lesson plans on a Sunday afternoon.  I promise I don't look like that when I teach (usually) ;).

But, let’s go back to number 2: magazine editor/writer. When I was little, two of my favorite things to do in elementary school were reading and writing. I wrote short stories, poems, songs, etc. Some were well written; a lot probably made no sense. I remember writing an 8 chapter story when I was in the third grade. Granted, it was strongly based off The Sweet Valley High series, but still. I wrote it. And I was proud of it. I wrote various other short stories as well. All too embarrassing to share, but at the time it was some of my best "work." Actually, If I find them, I promise I'll post one. Pinky swear.



Was anybody else as obsessed with this series as I was?  Along with Babysitter's Club, The Boxcar Children, Goosebumps, etc., etc. 


Anyway, writing has always been a way for me to express myself when I don’t know how to any other way. Writing is an art, and unfortunately it seems to have become a lost art. I worry about future generations; that they will not be able to write a complete sentence without using slang or acronyms; that they will rely heavily on technology to “write” for them. 


It doesn't matter what I'm reading, I'll notice any kind of grammar error. Even in my own writing. I'm sure, after I post this, I will go back and find many mistakes. That's just what my brain does.. 


Just to forewarn you, this blog has no niche. It has no direction, and no guidelines. This is not the blog to refer to if you want a new delicious crock pot recipe; it’s not the blog to read if you want to know how to turn that ugly, old side table into an antique (though I want to pick up that hobby - I love antique-looking furniture!); and it won’t be that blog that tells you which exercises are the best to get those 6 pack abs. 

This is what you CAN expect out of this blog:

- personal experience with running, racing, running, racing
- my life as a tri-wife (
- complaints about teaching Kindergarten
- joys of teaching Kindergarten
- inspiration 
- stories of success
- stories of failure
- stories that will make you think. 
- stories that will make you laugh
- lots and lots of  stories that can’t be categorized



These are just aimless musings. Enjoy! :)



1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about spelling and grammar. I am not very good at it, at least I don't think I am. I try hard though, lol, I even put a little blurb in my about section about it.

    I am following your blog, I love the posts, Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete