Wednesday, November 21, 2012

How I became a "runner"

This specific post is mainly to help remind myself of how far I've come in my running, but I also hope it can be used to motivate others who either don't run, or are new to running. I know it can get discouraging at times, and we all need a little inspiration :).


This is probably one of my favorite running quotes.


1 year and 8 months ago: My friend, Andrea, sent me a text while I was at work, and asked if I wanted to run a half marathon with her in November (which was 8 months away.) I thought it was a joke, at first, because I don't run, and I knew she didn't run, so none of it made much sense. I dismissed my confusion, and thought "What the heck." And as soon as I got to a computer I signed up. I sent Andrea a text and said "I did it! I signed up!" Her response? "Ugh, now I really do have to sign up!" Wait. So, you weren't serious? Crap.

My immediate thought: What have I gotten myself into?


Soon after I signed up I thought, well I guess I better see what my legs can do! Apparently, they couldn't do much. I went out on the Greenway with no plan. Didn't know how far I wanted to go; didn't know how far I actually went; didn't know how fast, either. I was just going to run and see what happened. Biggest. mistake. ever. It didn't take me long to realize this wasn't going to work (or be easy.) That's when I decided to do the Couch to 5k program. Free app, starts you out easy (walk/run), beeps and tells you when to start and stop - sounds good to me. 


I decided since the last time I purchased a pair of tennis shoes was probably in high school, it was probably a good idea to buy a new pair. So, I went to the best shoe store around: Shoe Carnival. Actually, Marti & Liz is the best shoe store around, but I didn't think I could run in these:




I ended up buying a chunky pair of purple and black Asics that I thought were some of the best running shoes around. (I mean, they were $100!) Little did I know there were much better ones out there (and better shoe stores, too) Gah, I was such a newb!


Don't worry, I've upgraded twice since these.

In May, I also met my husband; my "coach"; my inspiration, and my running partner! He's an amazing triathlete! He made my 12 week training schedule and has been by my side ever since. (To add more sentimental value to this post, we met in May 2011, were engaged in December and married in June 2012.) 

Before I ran my first 13.1 I raced my first 10k and my first 4 miler (placing for the first time in my AG - 3rd place! I'm pretty sure I was hooked right then.)

1 year and 8 days ago: I ran my 1st half marathon! 2:04. Not too shabby. I thought, "I don't know if I'll ever do that again!" Lots of hills. But you get a medal. and a shirt. and free food. I mean, how can you say no to any of that?!



After that race I did a handful of 5k's. Placing 2nd in my AG for two out of five of them. 

7 months ago: Signed up for my second 1/2 marathon!

1 month ago: Ran my second 1/2 marathon in 2:02! I thought,"I could have done better had I not been injured for 4-5 weeks during my training. I can't wait to do another, though!"





Now, it's the end of  November, and I can say without a doubt I cannot wait until my third 13.1 - Tom King in Nashville, TN. on March 13th. I just hope no injury occurs!


I started out a year and 1/2 ago not being able to run for barely 30 seconds without getting out of breath. The thought of running one mile, let alone 13.1 was unimaginable. 

Now, I run on a regular basis 5-6 days a week. My "easy" pace is between 8:50-9:00, my 5k PR is 24:32, and anything under 8 miles is a "short" run. I'd say I've come a long way since my "Couch to 5k" days. 

Upgraded shoes:




<----- K-Swiss Blade Light Run






Saucony Kinvara 3 (current shoes)  ----->







Races I've done thus far:
one 10k
two 13.1's 
one 4 miler
one 10 miler
two fun runs (Color run and Zombie 5k - both 5k's, but I didn't "race")
five 5k's? (seems like there should be more, though.)

...I think that's all. I've already lost count! And there's lots more to come.




Don't ever say you can't do something. I've accomplished a lot more than I ever thought I would or could!













No comments:

Post a Comment