Saturday, March 23, 2013

Growing as a Runner: What's Next?

Today's race could have ended in a failed attempt, but it didn't. It ended with a PR of 23:36, and the accomplishment of running a sub 24 minute 5k - one of my running goals for 2013! Now, I'm not going to write out a whole race recap, because it was a 5k. It's 3.1 miles, people. There isn't much to say about 3.1 miles. I raced hard and crossed the finish line (remembering to stop my watch for once!) The only thing I will say is this: Before any race (mainly 5k's) my husband ALWAYS says, "If you see a girl you think is in your AG dig hard and catch her, no matter how much it hurts." Well, that stuck in my head for the last two miles. There was a girl ahead of me, just out of reach! I tried to catch her a few times, but failed. Maybe I could have dug harder, but with not even 1/4 of a mile to go I looked down at my watch, knowing I was about to accomplish my goal, and all of a sudden catching that girl didn't matter any more. What I had just achieved mattered.  



See? Stopping my watch :). Ignore the time on the clock - that was for the 15k, but check out my AWESOMELY BRIGHT Saucony Kinvara 3 shoes! Love.



My mother-in-law ran the 5k as well, and placed 1st in her AG! My husband ran the 15k, placing 6th overall and 1st in his AG!!! So Proud. 

Side note: I didn't catch that one girl, but I did place 3rd in my AG. :)


Anyway, now that I've accomplished that goal, it's got me thinking: What's next?




One of my favorite parts about racing is the fact that there is always room for improvement; there are always new goals to set, and accomplish, no matter how long (or not long) you've been running. I LOVE that! Right when I've accomplished one goal - no matter how long it takes to achieve it - I automatically feel the need to set a new goal and go after it. That's the stubbornness and competitiveness in me. 


A lot has changed since I first started racing. I care more about setting smart, attainable race goals, and accomplishing them, than I do placing in my AG - something that I cared a lot about last year. Don't get me wrong, I still love getting an award, but I get much more satisfaction out of setting a new PR for myself than I do getting a medal or plaque. 


Now it's time to slow it down a bit; take a step back, and look at what I've achieved, and what I want to work towards. Here are my plans and aspirations for now: 


  • Take 1 or 2 weeks off COMPLETELY. I've been battling off and on knee pain for nearly two months, and this will give my knee and hip and whatever else has been ailing me to completely heal and rest. Will probably work in some cross training, though.
  • Speaking of cross training. Here's something new: Crossfit. Yeah. So, my husband and I are planning on taking a Crossfit class in April. We'll see how that goes. I need the cross training to help improve my running. It just looks...insanely intimidating. I don't know of any other way to put it. And I don't like not being able to do something, so I'm sure at times I will throw a fit like a little girl. It should be fun for everyone ;). Who knows, maybe I'll enjoy it.
  • Start back up, fresh and ready to run. I plan on trying to keep it consistent with my mileage, but working more on speed than anything else since I haven't been able to do that since January. Chris wants me to get in a good 7 weeks or so of speed work with no races to interrupt it.
  • I love to run, and I love to race. I'm not planning any races for the month of April, and if I do I won't expect much out of it. My next 5k I'm looking at (and hoping to knock off more time) will probably be in May.
  • Next goal for a 5k: sub 23. Next goal for a 1/2 marathon: sub 1:55, then will work for sub 1:50 (I need a challenging goal to look towards!) Not sure when I will run another 1/2 marathon, so it will be awhile before I accomplish this one.
  • Start training on hills. I say that all. the. time, but I really need to, as much as I hate the
  • Maybe, MAYBE run a full marathon in December?! I'll come back to that...


Runners go through lots of ups and down. There are goals which are accomplished, and a number of failed attempts. But nothing holds you back for good. You know that those failed attempts only make you stronger mentally; those failed attempts cause you to push harder to the goal in sight.



What are some of your running goals? Have you accomplished any of them this year? Do you "catch" people when you race?

2 comments:

  1. Great post, and Congrats Kayla on the PR and the AG award! I love getting some bling, but I'm never close on the AG! Very cool! I love that your taking a set back and setting new goals- I really need to work in some cross-training. BTW- the shoes are sweet!

    I love catching up with people, but I know that I got into the wrong corral if I'm getting passed instead of passing! Next Goals: Sub 4:00 marathon, and Sub 1:50 Half...we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the response! Goals are always good to have. My husband and I are starting Crossfit, so that should be some good, intense cross training!

    ReplyDelete