Saturday, December 29, 2012

26.2

So, I kind of want to run a full marathon some day. Maybe. I think?

No, really, I do. Preferably before I'm 30, which doesn't give me a lot of time. 5k's are still my favorite, because of the speed, short distance, and the ability for me to place in my AG, but the accomplishment of running 26.2 miles is something that has been on my bucket list for awhile. (Actually, a 1/2 marathon was on my list, but I've long since crossed that off -twice and counting.) I just never thought I would actually do it. The idea has always seemed too far-fetched. You know why?

BECAUSE IT'S 26.2 FREAKING MILES OF RUNNING! Who does that?! I can't even begin to wrap my mind around running that distance; for that length of time. I mean, it would take me at least 4 hours to complete it. FOUR hours. Probably longer. Anyway, that seems like an insane amount of running time. I have trouble mentally preparing myself for a mere 10 mile run, let alone a full marathon. I'd tell myself that it's just two half marathons, but that makes me want to punch myself.
I'm having trouble remembering why I want to do this.
Of course, that was my mindset when I started running over a year ago, while training for my first 1/2 marathon. "13.1?! What?! I can't do that!" And now, I've run two and have two more coming up in February and March. The distance doesn't scare me like it used to. It's getting easier - the distance, the speed, the mileage - each week. I've seen lots of growth and it's motivating.  


When I do decide to run one (which might be as early as next December) I'm making my husband run it with me. He ran both of my 13.1's with me, pacing me the whole time. (He says I'm on my own for the rest.) Then I can change out my 13.1 magnets for one of these!:  


And then I can cross it off my list - one time. Because I don't know if my body will let me run that distance more than once.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kayla,

    I am by no means a running expert, just someone who enjoys running and has experienced racing at several distances.

    I saw your tweet and thought I would share my 1st marathon experience. I was training for the Little Rock Marathon (2011) during grad school. Dedicating the time to train wasn't easy ( plus I got sick two weeks before the race), but I managed to beat my race goal of 3:45. There are plenty of training programs out there for marathons, but honestly I just ran when I could and gradually increased my distances. My training covered Sept.-Feb. with the marathon being in early March. I would recommend having a solid year of running on your legs to prepare for the workload. After completing the 26.2, I didn't run for a 3-4 weeks; your legs really take a beating.

    My longest training run was only 15 miles (due to my illness before my marathon). It left a lot of doubt on my mind during race day as I didn't know how my body would react. Thankfully I ran with a pacing group that helped me through mile 17 and eventually I ran ahead of them. Check to see what a couple marathon training programs say, I have seen long runs top out at 18,20, or 22mi.

    Here are some tips/thoughts I have about 26.2:

    -Training for 26.2 takes a lot of time. plan your runs ahead, but don't beat yourself up if you miss a training day (things happen).
    - Be mindful of the time of year the race is run. Some marathons have runners stop racing due to heat advisories or the threat of heat stroke.
    - If you aren't familiar with Yasso 800's, look them up on Runners World. these are great way to measure how fast you can finish your marathon.
    - SLEEP, ice, and stretch! these are your greatest training partners.
    - If running 10+ miles seems daunting in one run, split your training into a two-a-day (morning and evening runs). I'm a night owl, so this is only a suggestion if you have the time.
    - Speed work is your friend. make sure you mix up your training.
    - Figure out your water and food (energy) intake for the marathon. I had 3 Gu in my pocket for the race. I burned through those, had another one handed to me, and ate a banana and cookies along the way. I also alternated between water and gatorade through the water stations.
    - There is no shame in walking. I walked through a couple water stations to catch my breath, shake out my legs, and to make sure my drink didn't soak my shirt.
    - When you do pick your race, make sure you either walk/drive the course the day before. This was extremely helpful for me as I could tell which part of the race I would need to conserve energy to climb hills (if there are any).
    - On race day, once you hit the 20mi. mark, you only have a 10k left! that's 2 5k's. No sweat!
    - A lot of marathons have bands or signs along the way. This welcomed encouragement will add wings to your feet. Enjoy your surroundings.
    - Invite your family! Their support will give you that extra motivation to finish and you can show off your new hardware.
    - Have fun and take pride knowing that once you cross the finish line, regardless of your time, you are a marathoner. And no one can take that from you.

    Sorry I kind of rambled on, but I hope this information is helpful. If you need anymore tips, im on twitter @krainiac. I am running my next marathon in two weeks!

    Best of luck!

    -Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to respond! I've been running for a little over a year. I don't do a lot of distance running (8-10 miles every Saturday is the longest I do each week.) I've been slowly building my mileage up. My husband is a triathlete and puts my running schedule together for me. I'm starting speed work in January because I'm wanting to increase my 5k speed. I already know which marathon I want to run (if I do decided to run.) It's the St. Jude Memphis Marathon. It's in December, so heat won't be a problem. I'll keep all of your advise and tips in mind! :)

    ReplyDelete