Saturday, December 22, 2012

5 People

I've heard it said before that you are influenced by the 5 people you surround yourself with the most; that you start to act like them.

And I think this is 100% accurate. I don't believe you need to physically be around these people in order for them to have an affect on you, either. People you interact with through social media, whether you know them or not, can have a huge impact on your behavior (be it negative or positive.) For example, if you are constantly engaging in conversation with people who have negative attitudes, use offensive language, act "holier than thou," and do nothing but spew insults at others, then more than likely you will start to behave that way as well; whether you want to or not. 

On the flip-side, if you choose to surround yourself with people with positive out looks on life, good morale; people who look for the best in people instead of the worst; those who seek to make others happy; people who strive to use kindness to overcome evil, then you will have a better chance of having those kinds of characteristics shine within you. 

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm far from perfect. I have horrible road rage; I curse; I can be a "negative Nancy;" I have poor attitudes; I complain; I'm grumpy; I give silent treatments. I'm not always like that, and I think it's because of who I surround myself with that I have a "calmness" that over-powers the rage. Actually, in my case, it's not always who I surround myself with, it's what I read. That, and when I do come across that kind of attitude from someone else it makes me think, "Wow, that person sure is irritating to be around! I hope I'm not like that."

So, I challenge you to sit down and make a list of the top 5 people you interact with on a daily basis. Honestly? I can't even think of 5 people I interact with on a daily basis. Maybe that's good, maybe that's bad. Fortunately, I think most of the people I DO interact with have a positive influence on my life. And I'm an adult, so if I don't like the way you act and I know I don't want to be influenced by you it's no trouble at all to say "adios."  


What about you? 





1 comment:

  1. I can think of 3 people who I talk to daily or nearly daily my hubby and 2 friends. I do see myself picking up one of my friends habits. but its just saying "na." instead of "no." so not to bad.

    ReplyDelete