Sunday, January 6, 2013

Here's to healthy eating in 2013

I am the typical poster child for "People Who are Skinny, but Eat Pizza for Every Meal." Okay, maybe not
EVERY meal, but I definitely am not a health food nut. I can probably count on one hand how many vegetables I like. Growing up, I was an extremely picky eater. My mom would actually fix something different for me each night than what she cooked for the rest of the family. For the longest time I lived on pizza, corn dogs, hot dogs, grilled cheese, french fries, and chicken nuggets. But, low and behold, certain foods started to "grow" on me. 

My taste buds started to evolve, and I moved on to trying (not necessarily liking) different (exotic to me) foods. I didn't even start liking cheeseburgers until I was in my late teens, which resulted in me eating at the healthiest of all healthy places: Micky D's. I mean, I could get a large sweet tea and a cheeseburger for $2.00! I've always said if my metabolism ever catches up with me I'm going to be 300 pounds (Side note: I have not eaten a McDonald's cheeseburger in a very, VERY long time. Years, in fact, but I digress...) 

Now that I'm 28 I have broadened my food selections. Even if I don't like the way something smells or looks I will attempt to try it. I'll wrinkle my nose, yes, but I am more likely to try it now. However, I will never like peas, coconut, mushrooms, and a handful of other foods, but the truth is there are vegetables that are just foreign to me. Foreign in the sense that I don't know how to cook them or what they are. That's how small- minded my food brain is. 

For awhile I have been telling Chris that he should start eating gluten free foods, and both of us need to stop eating processed foods. This would be easier if I cooked on a regular basis. If I cooked at all. Anyway, Chris and I went grocery shopping today (our pantry and fridge were BARE!) Long story short, we loaded up the cart with fresh fruits and vegetables, gluten free foods, and as much unprocessed foods as we could. Except ice cream. I put ice cream in the cart. And chocolate milk.  

I have to say, I'm proud of us! It's only the first day, but I think we can do this. I even made him a "green smoothie" and he liked it (and I did,too!) I'm hoping this leads to a healthy 2013 for the both of us. 


Feel free to share any gluten free/ healthy recipes. Easy ones, please. Don't be sending me recipes with 50 ingredients unless you plan to cook it yourself. Oh, and is there a cheaper way to do this? Seriously. We spent over $200 on food today. It's a little ridiculous.  

3 comments:

  1. Aldi is the cheapest way to do it. You have to be willing to pick and choose your produce based on what they have in stock but they usually have at least the basics at awesome prices. I usually get bulk of my stuff there and go to Target or Kroger for the name brand stuff we can't live without. The majority of what we eat is fruit, veggies or beans :) if I don't go to Aldi I spend about $180 a week, but we go most of our stuff at Aldi today and a few extra things at Target and spent a total of about $120. Its expensive, but we eat ALL of it, so that makes it seem worth it! Hope that helps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayla, Brian and I are thinking about doing a CSA this year. Depending on what size box you get, they can range between $20 and $60 per week for fresh, local produce (and sometimes organic). If you're trying to be healthy and eat more fresh foods, I would recommend buying local and going by the "dirty dozen" list of what you should buy organic. Though cheap, unfortunately Aldi doesn't offer anything organic or local.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go guys! I'm impressed

    ReplyDelete