Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Running Weather

In my opinion, the perfect running conditions are cool (around 50 degrees) and cloudy. All I know is I hate being hot when I run. Absolutely, hate it.


Which brings me to the worst running conditions: 110 degree heat and sunny. I'd rather run in the snow. Seriously.


Living in Tennessee, I get to endure all kinds of running conditions: rain, heat, sleet, "snow", black ice, fog, tornadoes, monsoons, wildlife, cyclists who don't know how to properly ride bikes, stupid drivers, etc. - sometimes all within the same week. The good thing is if we don't like the weather, we just wait a few days for it to change. 


So far, in January, I have run in every type of clothing (or lack of clothing) possible. I've run in the high 20's and the high 60's - in the same week. This past Sunday I ran in shorts, and Monday night I ran in layers. It rained both days, but there was a 30 degree difference in temperature. When I wake up in the morning I have no idea what to wear to work. I don't even believe what my weather app says anymore.


Usually, it's rain or shine.


But sometimes it snows:


That's Tennessee "snow" for ya. Pretty, huh?


Right now, we are under a Winter Weather Advisory. I'm not even sure I know what that means around here. Does it mean that the sidewalk might be a little slick? Or does it mean there's a possibility there will be patches of white stuff on the bushes? Or that you might have to let your car run for 10 minutes before you leave the driveway? 


Really, I don't know. I just pay attention to the school closings. I love the Snowbird. He's music to a teacher's ears. 



All runners are different, so what are your favorite running conditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment